Drafting Outstanding US University Application Essays
US university application essays can be difficult for international students as the essay structure is different from that of European universities. American universities want to get a sense of who you are, and what makes you unique. In essence, what is something that you can contribute to their school?
See below for the seven common app personal statement prompts for 2017-2018:
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
In addition to the Common App essay prompts, you will most likely need to write some additional essays. While most universities will adhere to a similar essay format, there are some unique ones to be aware of. For instance, under the University of Chicago’s Extended Essay Questions, you might come across something like this:
- Essay Option 1: What is square one, and can you actually go back to it?
- Essay Option 3: The ball is in your court—a penny for your thoughts, but say it, don’t spray it. So long as you don’t bite off more than you can chew, beat around the bush, or cut corners, writing this essay should be a piece of cake. Create your own idiom, and tell us its origin—you know, the whole nine yards. PS: A picture is worth a thousand words.
Therefore, it is a good idea to research what supplemental essays your universities require and to be aware of the ones that are a little different!
Here at A-List we can help you achieve focused and driven essays that will allow you to master the application process. Please see below for our college essay packages.
College Essay Packages
The college essay provides applicants with the opportunity to make applications stand out. We guide students from start to finish through the writing process- from brainstorming to drafting/revising to perfecting the last details of their final drafts.
*Essay Packages must be paid in full in advance of any work being performed.
Common App Personal Statement & Gap Year Essay – £699
Work with an expert essay editor through the extensive brainstorming and drafting process to create outstanding essays.
Common App Personal Statement – £599
Work with an expert essay editor through the extensive brainstorming and drafting process to create outstanding Personal Statement essay.
Supplemental Essays – £105-£249 per hour
Work with an expert essay editor for either a 1-hour review or packages of hours.
Please see our Pricing & Packages here.
From Our Tutoring Clients
A-List’s tutors are excellent. The A-List Book of Knowledge textbook helped IMMENSELY, and condensed all the topics in very understandable ways. The college counsellors have many years of expertise in the field, and can help you find a range of schools that are tailored to your requirements. I would recommend getting assistance from A-List to anyone who wants to study in the USA.
—Muna P. +5 ACT points
Dear A-List’ers—I just wanted to let you know that, thanks to your effective SAT tutoring, my son was offered a place at Stanford in the early action round. We are thrilled! Thank you for helping prepare him for the SAT and SAT Subject Tests over the past 15 months. He found it incredibly valuable and effective.
—Parent of son accepted to Stanford
From Our Advising Clients
A-List provides excellent service and quite literally helps students achieve their dreams.
—Daniel A, +530 SAT points, awarded $62,000 per year by Harvard University.
I can’t recommend A-List UK enough. You really feel that you can use as much or as little from what they offer to suit your needs. I will certainly be using them for my other two children!
—Parent of Son Attending New York University, Class of 2018
A-List is the best possible method of applying to the US. The quality of care is exceptional and they truly are my saving grace.
—Freddy, +330 SAT points
From Our Bootcamp Students
Really useful and fun camp. My SAT score improved massively.
Not only did A-List allow me to greatly improve my scores, but it also gave me an opportunity to make new friends.
A-List was 100% what I was looking for in SAT preparation. The strategies and techniques – they all work!